Young Keyshia Cole Turns the Pain of Love Into Music of the Soul

2008-7-10
HOST:

Welcome to AMERICAN MOSAIC in VOA Special English.

(MUSIC)

I'm Doug Johnson.

Today, we listen to music from singer/songwriter Keyshia Cole ?/P>

Answer a question about actress, producer, businesswoman and television host Oprah Winfrey ?/P>

And visit a museum where ancient treasures from Afghanistan are on display.

(MUSIC)

Hidden Treasures of Afghanistan

HOST:

Visitors in Washington, D.C., this summer can see an exhibit of treasures that tells a story of ancient civilizations, invasions, and cross-cultural influences. "Afghanistan: Hidden Treasures from the National Museum, Kabul" is currently on view at the National Gallery of Art. Shirley Griffith has more about this important exhibit.

SHIRLEY GRIFFITH:

Several publications have named Oprah Winfrey one of the most influential people in the world.  Oprah is best known by her first name. She is famous for having her own television show and production company and for helping people. Oprah is said to be worth more than two-and-one-half billion dollars. She gives money to women, children and families in need.

Last year, she opened a school for hundreds of girls in South Africa. In nineteen ninety-eight, she created Oprah's Angel Network, which helps people in need around the world.

Oprah is especially interested in protecting children from sexual abuse. She was responsible for gaining support for the National Child Protection Act of nineteen ninety-three, known as the "Oprah Law."  It created a national public list of people found guilty of abusing children. In two thousand five, she created Oprah's Child Predator Watch List. This list helps identify people who are suspected of abusing children.

Oprah was not always so successful, however. She was born into poverty in a small town in Mississippi in nineteen fifty-four. Her mother was young and unmarried. Oprah was sent to live with her grandmother, who taught her about the importance of education.

Starting when she was nine years old, Oprah was sexually abused by members of her family as well as a family friend. She was later sent to live with her father in Tennessee.

She was named Miss Black Tennesee when she was eighteen. She became a radio and television reporter in Nashville. In nineteen eighty-four she took over a local television talk show in Chicago, Illinois.  It was later renamed "The Oprah Winfrey Show." Soon the show was broadcast across the country. Today it is the most popular talk show in television history. It is broadcast to more than one hundred countries.

Oprah started her own production company that produces movies and television programs. She started two popular magazines, a Web site, book club and satellite radio channel. Oprah Winfrey has received many awards for her television show and for her public service.

Keyshia Cole

(MUSIC)

HOST:

Singer and songwriter Keyshia Cole has quickly become a favorite among listeners of hip-hop and rhythm and blues music. It is more than her soulful voice that makes her songs so popular. She sings about something most people can understand ?the painful side of love. Mario Ritter has more.

MARIO RITTER:

When it comes to love and sadness Keyshia Cole has a lot to sing about. The twenty-six-year-old singer has dealt with many difficult love experiences.  She says one of the worst was when she ended a relationship with the man she had planned to marry because he was involved with another woman.

Yet, Cole did not let emotionally painful experiences interfere with her dream of becoming a professional singer.  Instead, she began writing songs about them. Her first album, "The Way It Is," was released in two thousand five. The song "Love" became a hit.

(MUSIC)

Music critics say Keyshia Cole has an honest way of singing that makes you feel the pain and sadness she sings about. Her latest album is called "Just Like You."  Here she sings "I Remember."

(MUSIC)

Keyshia Cole says she wants to be an example to people to always believe in themselves. We leave you with another hit song by Keyshia Cole from her album "Just Like You." This is "Let It Go."

(MUSIC)

HOST:

I'm Doug Johnson. I hope you enjoyed our program today.

It was written by Lawan Davis, Dana Demange, and Elizabeth Stern. Caty Weaver was the producer. To read the text of this program and download audio, go to our Web site, testbig.com.

Join us again next week for AMERICAN MOSAIC, VOA's radio magazine in Special English.