Thieves & Prisons

Thieves & Prisons

Avoiding Overcrowded Prisons

The last couple of decades there have been an increase in offenders sent to jail. Courts are sentencing criminal offenders to serve prison time, which is exceeding the capacity of prisons. Prison overcrowding occurs when the rate of incarceration exceeds the rate at which convicts are released. There are two alternative forms of justice that can help to reduce prison overcrowding.

One alternative form is home detention curfew. After being sentenced, convicts are offered an alternative sentence which can be electronic tagging. They are remained in home and are fitted with an electronic tag which sends signals to officials to monitor their location. This alternative sentence can be applied to usually violent wrongdoings like drug offending or possession of a weapon. For example, drug offenders who have committed a crime are condemned to wear an electronic monitoring device. If lawbreakers were offered this alternative sentence, prisons would not be so overcrowded.

Another measure to reduce overcrowded prisons is creative justice. This alternative sentence is applied to non-violent criminals who are not likely to be dangerous to members of society. Forgers, shoplifters and drivers who have caused traffic accidents can be eligible for this kind of justice. For example, a young drunk driver was ordered to work in the emergency room of a hospital once a week for three years. If inmates receive this kind of alternative justice, they would see for themselves the result of careless driving.

To conclude, overcrowded prisons is a problem which can be solved. Electronic monitoring tag and creative justice are two different forms of punishment that can be applied to lawbreakers. This alternative sentence helps not only society, but also criminals.