A hidden bomb

A hidden bomb

It had been two days since the investigation of the hidden bomb planted in Shinjuku Train Station started. Wiping sweat off of his brow, the chief of the investigation case announced that no clues nor leads have been dug up in their findings. Sighs and scoffs spread throughout the room as the investigators recall the recent bombing of the local police department.

The connections between the two cases made the investigators assume it was the same culprit. Both gave five days to meet their impossible demands, yet the bombing of the department had been done on the fourth, the unsuspecting search party being caught in the explosion. One of the investigators, David, impatiently claimed, "There is no point in searching, we have to track the problem to its root". To which Rin, one of the survivors of the explosion, had suggested that deploying more people to find the bomb was the safer bet. There was a collective nod of agreement which signalled the end of the decision-making meeting.

On the way back, David noticed that the tensed worried face of Rin had retracted back to a calm, confident smile. When asked, Rin abruptly explains that it is because he truly believes that the case will be cracked. Yet, that doesn't stop David from thinking about the strange occurrence all night long. "Wasn't he one of the survivors of the search party?", he thought to himself, "Why would he suggest something that he knows will be futile?". The next day, he decided to pick apart the entire situation.

The next day brought no progress whatsoever. Another meeting was held, yet Rin's indifference contrasted with the tense atmosphere of the gathering didn't seem right to David. On the way back, his curiosity got the better of him and he recklessly decided to follow Rin to where he went. He crept behind Rin all the way till he reached his home. Outside, he decided to wait. After a few hours into midnight and almost dozing off a couple of times, he noticed a man in a tall black cloak striding off from the corner of his eyes. He walked in pursuit of the man. David followed the man till he was shocked by the realization that they were right beside the train station.

The mysterious man knelt down while pulling something out. With precision and shaky hands, the man had placed a clock-like object on a wall. This made David leap out of his cover and point the gun that he had luckily brought towards the man. The man's hands immediately went for, as David assumed, the bomb. He threatened to set off the bomb if David had not put down the gun. Yet David, in quick succession, shot the man's hand and inched closer to the scene. A sense of cold and guilt spread from his hands to his body as he realized who he had shot. Rin layed there, screaming in agony as a thought suddenly clicked to David. "This is why we couldn't find the bomb in our searches" he asked, "This is why Rin was the only man in the search party who was outside the police department when the explosion happened". In a blinding fit of fury, David pressed the trigger several times before the case was finally cracked.