The following appeared as part of a newspaper editorial:
"Two years ago Nova High School began to use interactive computer instruction in three academic subjects. The school dropout rate declined immediately, and last year's graduates have reported some impressive achievements in college. In future budgets the school board should use a greater portion of the available funds to buy more computers, and all schools in the district should adopt interactive computer instruction throughout the curriculum."
Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. In your discussion be sure to analyze the line of reasoning and the use of evidence in the argument. For example, you may need to consider what questionable assumptions underlie the thinking and what alternative explanations or counterexamples might weaken the conclusion. You can also discuss what sort of evidence would strengthen or refute the argument, what changes in the argument would make it more logically sound, and what, if anything, would help you better evaluate its conclusion.
Write the essay now!
- The following appeared as part of the business plan of the Capital Idea investment firm:"Across town in the Park Hill district, the Thespian Theater, Pizzazz Pizza, and the Niblick Golf Club have all (0)
- The following appeared in an editorial from a newspaper serving the town of Saluda:"The Saluda Consolidated High School offers more than 200 different courses from which its students can choose. A mu (30)
- The following appeared in the editorial section of a daily newspaper:"Although forecasts of presidential elections based on opinion polls measure current voter preference, many voters keep changing t (0)
- The following appeared in the letters-to-the-editor section of a local newspaper:"Muscle Monthly, a fitness magazine that regularly features pictures of bodybuilders using state-of-the-art exercise m (0)
- The following appeared as part of an article in a trade publication:"Stronger laws are needed to protect new kinds of home-security systems from being copied and sold by imitators. With such protecti (0)
- The following appeared as part of an editorial in an industry newsletter:"While trucking companies that deliver goods pay only a portion of highway maintenance costs and no property tax on the highwa (0)
- The following appeared in a memorandum from the human resources department of HomeStyle, a house remodeling business:"This year, despite HomeStyle's move to new office space, we have seen a decline i (100)
- The following appeared in a memorandum written by the managing director of the Exeunt Theater Company:"Now that we have moved to a larger theater, we can expect to increase our revenues from ticket s (100)
- The following appeared in a memorandum from the human resources department of Diversified Manufacturing:"Managers at our central office report that their employees tend to be most productive in the d (100)
- The following appeared in a memorandum from the president of Aurora, a company that sells organic milk (milk produced without the use of chemical additives):"Sales of organic food products in this co (85)