17. The following appeared in a memorandum from the manager of WWAC radio station.To reverse a decline in listener numbers, our owners have decided that WWAC must change from its current rock-music format. The decline has occurred despite population growt

In the preceding statement, the author suggests that WWAC should change its rock music format to news and talk format. To support this recommendation the author points out that listeners of WWAC is declining while the number of elder people in the WWAC listening area is growing. The author also mentions the continuing declining sales of record music. The argument may at first appear that it is based on sound logic. However, careful scrutiny of the manager’s argument reveals several unproven assumptions and vague data, which render it unconvincing.

Initially, the argument based on unproven information and vague statistics. The author states that there is a decline in the listener numbers without offering precise number. This lack of data obscure the conclusion. If the number is negligible then there is no need to change the format. Then he states that the population growth mainly results from the people moving to the area after retirement. However, no definite number is given to strengthen his conclusion. Without specific information and accurate data, the author’s conclusion is untenable.

In addition, the editorial claims that the decline in the sales of record music reveals limited interest in music. He completely imputes the decrease to the limited interest, never considering that there could be other reasons. Given the convenient online resources today, people may download digital music from the internet rather than buying record music from local stores. Moreover, even if we assumes that the limited interest in music is true, the author cannot rule out the possibility that people’s interest in rock music is declining. Either scenario, if true, would seriously undermine the manager’s contention that WWAC should discontinue rock music programming.

Ultimately, the author suggests that a news and talk format should be adopted since this format is increasingly popular in the area.Without further information about the new format, he concludes too hastily that changing format will nullify the decrease in listeners. It is entirely possible that other radio’s news and talk program have acquire stable listeners whom WWAC are unable to attract. Also, no one knows that how much time the popularity of such format will last. It would be risky to change the format of WWAC.

To sum up, the author’s evidence fails to adequately support the author’s recommendation to change the format of WWAC. To further bolster the argument the manager must provide adequate statistics. The author must also show that the news and talk format would be more popular than the old format, and that a significant number o people would be prefer the news and talk format program on WWAC.

argument 1 -- not OK. Need to accept that 'there is a decline in the listener numbers', but need to argue against the reason which is retired people moving into the region.

----------------