Essay topics: 4. The following memorandum is from the business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurants.
"Recently, butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. This change, however, has had little impact on our customers. In fact, only about 2 percent of customers have complained, indicating that an average of 98 people out of 100 are happy with the change. Furthermore, many servers have reported that a number of customers who ask for butter do not complain when they are given margarine instead. Clearly, either these customers do not distinguish butter from margarine or they use the term 'butter' to refer to either butter or margarine."
Write a response in which you discuss one or more alternative explanations that could rival the proposed explanation and explain how your explanation(s) can plausibly account for the facts presented in the argument.
The business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurants positively appraises the recent change of Happy Pancake House restaurants in the Southwestern region of United States. The business manager assumes the alternation that providing margarine instead of butter does not negatively affect the business because only infinitesimal portion of customers are negative towards the change. The manager goes even further and concludes that the majority of customers think butter and margarine are identical. However, this conclusion needs three more explanations to make it sustainable.
First, customers might not officially complain about the change, even if they are not satisfied with it. Clearly, only 2 percent of customers represent their dissatisfaction. However, it is too presumptuous to interpret the rest of 98 percent of customers are happy with margarine when they ask for butter. Because the report in the memo only includes the direct complain from the customers. In order to precisely measure customer responses, the manager needs to conduct a survey and summarize the reliable result before he or she judges the result of the change.
Second, even though only a small minority of customers is unhappy with the change, they can be the major customers who should be remained as patrons. If these royal customers consider the recent change is not acceptable, they simply can stop patronizing Happy Pancake House restaurants. The change from butter to margarine may be slight to most of the customers, however, this slight difference of taste can be taken seriously by the ardent patrons who would change their favorite restaurants for it.
Third, to conclude that customers do not discern butter from margarine can be the fallacy of hasty generalization. Both butter and margarine have multiple usages as basic ingredients of food. Some of the usages of them can be identical under the certain circumstances. For example, butter can be replaced by margarine when people need it to raise taste of toasts. On the contrary, when people bake a buttered sponge cake or fry a turkey waxed by butter, they clearly do not use margarine for these purposes. Therefore, to generalize that customers consider butter and margarine are same only based on the report from pancake restaurants is not reliable.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|4 months 1 week ago||Krishna Prasad||49||Read full essay|
|4 months 2 weeks ago||orlando23||48||Read full essay|
|5 months 4 weeks ago||Amin Beheshti||58||Read full essay|
|10 months 3 weeks email@example.com||70||Read full essay|
|1 year 2 months ago||julls.kl||58||Read full essay|
|1 year 3 months ago||Shrinivaschavhan0029||62||Read full essay|
|1 year 3 months ago||ishi||50||Read full essay|
|1 year 3 months ago||temotod||16||Read full essay|
|1 year 4 months ago||temotod||67.5||Read full essay|
|1 year 4 months ago||proka||59||Read full essay|
- 44. Claim: It is no longer possible for a society to regard any living man or woman as a hero.Reason: The reputation of anyone who is subjected to media scrutiny will eventually be diminished. (93.3333)
- 34. The vice president of human resources at Climpson Industries sent the following recommendation to the company's president."In an effort to improve our employees' productivity, we should implement electronic monitoring of employees' Internet use from t (80)
- 105. Claim: Imagination is a more valuable asset than experience.Reason: People who lack experience are free to imagine what is possible without the constraints of established habits and attitudes. (70)
- (Amended)132. The following appeared in a letter to the school board in the town of Centerville."All students should be required to take the driver's education course at Centerville High School. In the past two years, several accidents in and around Cente (80)
- 132. The following appeared in a letter to the school board in the town of Centerville."All students should be required to take the driver's education course at Centerville High School. In the past two years, several accidents in and around Centerville ha (80)
- (Amended)6. The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of Quiot Manufacturing. "During the past year, Quiot Manufacturing had 30 percent more on-the-job accidents than at the nearby Panoply Industries plant, where the work shifts are one hour (70)
- 6. The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of Quiot Manufacturing."During the past year, Quiot Manufacturing had 30 percent more on-the-job accidents than at the nearby Panoply Industries plant, where the work shifts are one hour shorter th (50)
- 5. A recently issued twenty-year study on headaches suffered by the residents of Mentia investigated the possible therapeutic effect of consuming salicylates. Salicylates are members of the same chemical family as aspirin, a medicine used to treat headach (50)
- 4. The following memorandum is from the business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurants."Recently, butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. This change, however, has had little (86.6667)
- Highway safety13. In an attempt to improve highway safety, Prunty County last year lowered its speed limit from 55 to 45 miles per hour on all county highways. But this effort has failed: the number of accidents has not decreased, and, based on reports by (60)