113. Claim: The surest indicator of a great nation is not the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists.
Reason: The surest indicator of a great nation is actually the welfare of all its people.
Admittedly, general social welfare is one of the most important factors affecting the quality of vast majority of people in any nation. National leaders and policy makers should be concerned with allotting limited resources to satisfy their people to sustain the society. Therefore, one can argue that the welfare is one of the indicators measuring the greatness of a nation. However, it is doubtful to conclude that the social welfare is the surest indicator of a great nation. Because (1) high quality of welfare does not automatically guarantee the excellence of a nation, and (2) there are more r...
Subscribe as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.
- 65. Every individual in a society has a responsibility to obey just laws and to disobey and resist unjust laws. 80
- 80. Nations should suspend government funding for the arts when significant numbers of their citizens are hungry or unemployed. 80
- 143. No field of study can advance significantly unless it incorporates knowledge and experience from outside that field. 70
- 61. People should undertake risky action only after they have carefully considered its consequences. 90
- (Amended)6. The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of Quiot Manufacturing. "During the past year, Quiot Manufacturing had 30 percent more on-the-job accidents than at the nearby Panoply Industries plant, where the work shifts are one hour 70
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 5.0 out of 6
Category: Very Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 3 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 5 2
No. of Sentences: 24 15
No. of Words: 442 350
No. of Characters: 2392 1500
No. of Different Words: 231 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.585 4.7
Average Word Length: 5.412 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.929 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 196 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 150 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 102 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 79 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 18.417 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 5.612 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.583 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.292 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.446 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.082 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 4 5