The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station."Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this perio

heogogre's picture

While the manager of this passage argues that his television station should expand their coverage of weather and local news on all their news programs to attract more viewers and to avoid losing advertising revenues, the author fails to make a cogent case for it. At first glance this argument may seem convincing; however, upon closer inspection one can quickly recognize that this memorandum is rife with logical fallacies and unwarranted assumptions.

First, the author assumes that inadequate time spent on weather and local news is the major cause of the complaints from viewers, saying that those complaints were "concerned with" their station's coverage of weather and local news. However, the author does not present relevant evidence necessary for determining for what reason the viewers sent the letters of complaint to the television station. It could be possible that the viewers complained about accuracy of weather cast, or that they might ask to reduce length of the time for local news. In order to rule out other possible factors and to evidence this assumption, the author should show several letters of complaint from the viewers.

Second, another assumption the author relies on is that the recent cancellation of advertising contracts is due to the less time for weather and local news. This assumption also implies that the local businesses who was under the contracts with the television station correctly anticipated that the viewers would be discontented with the current time to cover weather and local news. However, in this passage, we cannot find any correlation between the cancellation of the contracts and the complaints from the viewers. It is not unusual, though unfortunate to this TV station, that established contracts are cancelled in the process of business, and there could be a lot of reasons and motivations to nullify existing contracts. It is plausible that the local businesses saw that the advertising through the local radio station would be more effective, or the current contracts were favor only to the TV station. Moreover, people do not generally expect the local news from late-night news programs, rather big news concerning the national problems or world issues. Thus, if the TV station reduce time for national news and increase local news, more advertising companies can cancel their contracts with the TV station.

Lastly, the author states that the TV station should expand the coverage of weather and local news, in order "to attract more viewers" and "avoid losing any further advertising revenues". This statement is premised on the assumption that to expand the coverage of weather and local news could raise the popularity and profit of the whole station. However, we do not know how many viewers want to expand the time for weather and local news, and how many local businesses are willing to continue their contracts with the TV station. Was there already surveys targeted whole viewers and businesses?

To sum up, as things stand, there is little chance to convince the reader to increase the time for weather and local news.

Your rating: None Average: 7.8 (2 votes)