The following is part of a memorandum from the president of Humana University."Last year the number of students who enrolled in online degree programs offered by nearby Omni University increased by 50 percent. During the same year, Omni showed a significa

The memorandum indicates that the nearby school, Omni University, offers online courses and then tract a lot of students to enroll. The author concludes that if Humna apply the same strategy, providing online education system, they can appeal copious students and gain lavish financial income. However, there are some issues about assumptions as listing in the following and render the argument a little unconvincing.

First of all, the argument mentions that there were 50 percent more students engaged in online program in last year and at the same time, their expenditures in space decreased. Nevertheless, the student amount of 50 percent might not be a big number since it depends on the original student numbers. It is possible that the original student amount is only 100 people, and then there are only 150 students after plus the increased 50 percent. Furthermore, the expense in space lowered, which does not means that the expense in total lowered. Probably, their spend huge money on purchasing new computer and internet facilities, which cost more in total expenses.

Secondly, the writer avers that Humana University has limited enrollments for three years while the expense in upkeep of buildings has growing. Nonetheless, there might be other reasons which cause the low enrollments and high maintain expense. Perhaps, it was time to regular maintain of the buildings. In the maintain period, there were many buildings closed which caused the school to enroll less students since they did not have so many space for so many students. In this way, the student number was lower and the expense of upkeep would be high in every regular maintain.

Finally, the author assumes that if Humana provides online courses, it could solve the enrollment and financial problems. Notwithstanding, the features of two schools might be distinct. Thus, applying the same method might not be useful to solve the other school's problem. There is no causation between a cogent mean of one school and the practical method for another school. If Humana is famous for their laboratory equipment, online courses would not attract students because they cannot operate those equipment in online system.

To sum up, the above factors demonstrate that the author's assumptions might not hold water. Hence, the author's hope to conquer the enrollment and income problem might not come true.

----------------

----------------