Hospital statistics regarding people who go to the emergency room after roller-skating accidents indicate the need for more protective equipment. Within that group of people, 75 percent of those who had accidents in streets or parking lots had not been we

Hospital statistics regarding people who go to the emergency room after roller-skating accidents indicate the need for more protective equipment. Within that group of people, 75 percent of those who had accidents in streets or parking lots had not been wearing any protective clothing (helmets, knee pads, etc.) or any light-reflecting material (clip-on lights, glow-in-the-dark wrist pads, etc.). Clearly, the statistics indicate that by investing in high-quality protective gear and reflective equipment, roller skaters will greatly reduce their risk of being severely injured in an accident.

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

The author of the statement above believes that in order to reduce the risk of being severely injured in accidents, skaters need to invest in high quality protective gears and reflective equipment. This conclusion is based on hospital statistics of roller-skating accidents in which people who wore protective gear and reflective equipment were fewer than those who did not. To reach such a conclusion, the author has made several assumptions. With potentially being unwarranted, these assumptions made the argument untenable.

First, based on the mere fact that the majority of the injured party of roller-skate accidents in the emergency room did not wear protective gears, the author assumes that protective gears would greatly preclude injuries. The statistics are unclear. It is possible that the injured people were pedestrians whom skaters have hit them in an accident. Furthermore, the statistics are not enough. The injuries might be very intense that people died before reaching an emergency room of hospitals.If these are the case, then wearing a protective suit or not do not make a significant difference.

Secondly, the unspoken assumption is that accidents are mainly taking place during the night as the author recommends the using of reflective equipment. The accidents might have taken place during the day when there was no need of the reflective equipment. It is possible also that skaters injured themselves by doing acrobatic things, not necessarily being hit by others who did not see the skaters and hit them. Even if cars hit the skaters, It is possible that the intensity of crashes is so high that even with putting on the protective gear the skaters injured severely.Hence the nature of the accidents is not clear to evaluate the statement.

Finally, even all the previous assumptions hold true, still the author assumes that merely “investing” or buying these stuffs by the skaters would greatly reduce the risk of being severely injured. It is possible that people buy such stuffs and do not use them. Skating might become inconvenient for the skaters with putting on the protective gear and after a while they may not use what they have bought already.

In short, as discussed, the author made the conclusion through several unsupported assumptions. As assumptions are prone to be unwarranted, the conclusion fails to be persuasive.

wearing a protective suit or not do not make a significant difference.
wearing a protective suit or not does not make a significant difference.

read a good sample:
http://www.testbig.com/gmatgre-argument-task-essays/hospital-statistics…