The following is a letter to the editor of an environmental magazine.
"Two studies of amphibians in Xanadu National Park confirm a significant decline in the numbers of amphibians. In 1975 there were seven species of amphibians in the park, and there were abundant numbers of each species. However, in 2002 only four species of amphibians were observed in the park, and the numbers of each species were drastically reduced. One proposed explanation is that the decline was caused by the introduction of trout into the park's waters, which began in 1975. (Trout are known to eat amphibian eggs.)"
Write a response in which you discuss one or more alternative explanations that could rival the proposed explanation and explain how your explanation(s) can plausibly account for the facts presented in the argument.
The author attributes the decline in amphibian population and specie number to the introduction of trout to park water. The trouts are known to eat amphibian eggs. However, the author does not consider other potential factors that could bring about a decline in the number of species and their population. This essay suggests other possible reasons for this decline.
Environmental and habitat conditions such as climate, temperature, humidity, water acidity etc. may be responsible for the decline in amphibians, especially the number of species. Perhaps certain species are well adapted to these ...
Subscribe as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.
- Young people should be encouraged to pursue long-term, realistic goals rather than seek immediate fame and recognition.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for t 86
- Competition for high grades seriously limits the quality of learning at all levels of education.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In dev 63
- The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station."Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this period, most of the complaint 73
- The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company."According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen-produced movies than in any 64
- The following appeared in a memo from the new vice president of Sartorian, a company that manufactures men's clothing."Five years ago, at a time when we had difficulty obtaining reliable supplies of high-quality wool fabric, we discontinued production of 82
Sentence: Species possessing features that enhance survival in their habitat are more likely to succeed over those who do not possess these favorable feature, and this may ultimately lead to their decline over time as explained by Darwinian thoery of evolution.
Error: thoery Suggestion: theory
Sentence: Secondly, as the amphibian population begins to grow over time, it may begin to experience overpopulation and overcrowding issues if their habitats are not adjusted to accomodate their population rise.
Error: accomodate Suggestion: accommodate
Sentence: Perhaps if there is a disproportiante prevalence of male amphibians over their female counterpart, there may result a decline in the reproduction rate as there may not be enough female amphibians available to lay new eggs.
Error: disproportiante Suggestion: disproportionate
It is on top list:
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 5.5 out of 6
Category: Excellent Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 3 2
No. of Sentences: 18 15
No. of Words: 432 350
No. of Characters: 2274 1500
No. of Different Words: 189 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.559 4.7
Average Word Length: 5.264 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.908 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 171 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 145 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 97 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 80 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 24 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 10.625 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.778 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.385 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.628 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.155 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 6 5