The following is a recommendation from the Board of Directors of Monarch Books."We recommend that Monarch Books open a café in its store. Monarch, having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years, has a large customer base because i

The following is a recommendation from the Board of Directors of Monarch Books.

"We recommend that Monarch Books open a café in its store. Monarch, having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years, has a large customer base because it is known for its wide selection of books on all subjects. Clearly, opening the café would attract more customers. Space could be made for the café by discontinuing the children's book section, which will probably become less popular given that the most recent national census indicated a significant decline in the percentage of the population under age ten. Opening a café will allow Monarch to attract more customers and better compete with Regal Books, which recently opened its own café."

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

With the information provided, the assumptions leading to the conclusion remains unfounded. The author uses the evidence that cafe will attract more customers to monarch books hence it will better compete with regal books. However, the author makes a number of unproved assumptions that hamper reader's ability to believe the author recommendation. If the author was to provide more evidence to support the assumptions, the argument would be much more effective.

The primary assumption underlying author's recommendation is that replacing children's book section with cafe will not affect the wide selection of book in the store. In the recommendation author mentioned that Monarch book is known for its wide selection of books on all subjects and removing children's book will defame that image of Monarch books. Hence more people will go to Regal books because of wide selection of books compare to Monarch book. So, to reinforce the recommendation author should have discussed about other reasons for that monarch books is famous. He should have also discussed about percentage of total area of book store required for cafe so that it will become clear that how much percentage of total book they are reducing.

Moreover author assumes that due to decline in the percentage of the population under age ten most of the customers of Monarch books are adults so removal of children's book section will not affect the business of Monarch store. But it could be possible that current decline in the percentage of the population under age ten is due to some kind of vacation. So, after the vacation they will return to the city and percentage of the population under age ten will again increase .So, to reinforce the recommendation author should have discussed about detail of demographic survey which will present clear picture about the children demography.

The author further assumes that opening cafe will attract more people to Monarch cafe. But it might be possible that people coming to Monarch books due to quiet environment compare to noisy environment of Regal books due to cafe. Those people will also come to Monarch book who are not interested in book and only want to seat in cafe, it will create disturbing environment for other customers who are genuinely interested in books. So to reinforce the argument author should have mentioned about main pupose of the customers and about their nature.

To Sum up, the author fails to substantiate his recommendation that opening of cafe will attract more people to Monarch book and will better compete with Regal books, because he has not given sufficient evidence to support his recommendation .He should have discussed about detail of demographic survey result, other reasons for which Monarch books is famous, main purpose of the people coming to Monarch books to substantiate his recommendation.

Sentence: So to reinforce the argument author should have mentioned about main pupose of the customers and about their nature.
Error: pupose Suggestion: purpose