A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college

The recommendation to require all students to study the same national curriculum until the enter college is one that I would agree with, only if liberties and given to teachers to be creative in their teaching.

For students to study the same subjects before college would mean that there can be standardised testing to evaluate learning. Although this might not be suitable for all students, at least there is a standard way to evaluate students. To have different sets of tests for different types of students would mean more resources such as time and money are used up. Additional planning has to go into catering to each individual student. As such, it would be advantageous to allow the same curriculum to be taught before college. Then when the student embarks on college education, they would then be able to venture into areas they are interested in or have a talent for.

On the other hand, having being taught the same curriculum leaves little to no room for diversity. Which may result in less creativity and less innovation. Moreover, not all students learn the same way and to be taught only in a certain way might not be feasible for all. At younger ages, students are naturally more curious. Having to study the same curriculum might hinder this curiousity as teachers might not have the liberty to engage in their questions. Therefore, requiring students to study the same curriculum might not be advantageous.

At the extreme end if students are not required to sutdy the same curriculum, it gives teachers the freedom to be creative when educating students. This in turn would help to cater to the different ways students are able to learn better. One might argue that teachers could be creative even with a standard curriculum, however teachers might face limitations and restrictions when it comes to how they teach in a class. If students are given a standard curriculum, it is most likely teachers will be given a standard manual for teaching as well. Therefore, having no standard national curriculum might be beneficial.

However, if students are not required to study the same curriculum, it would be different to assess and evaluate learning. Standardised tests would not work in this instance. Thus, having to cater to evaluate each student will result in using up more resources that could be put into better use. Such as sending teachers for courses to help them advance their teaching methods. Thus, having a standard curriculum might be more advantageous in such situations.

To sum, I believe it will be beneficial for students to have a standard curriculum before entering college, however teachers should be allowed liberties in the ways they engage students in classes. This would help to include each students and helps foster creativity and innovation.