Essay topics: Scientists and other researchers should focus their research on areas that are likely to benefit the greatest number of people.
The statement asserts that scientific research should aim at promoting the benefit of the people. Surely this sentiment is shared by many. Throughout history, scientific discoveries are always praised when they solve major problems of the people. From the discovery of penicillin to the electric light bulb, people always remember those who have benefited the greatest number of people. However, scientists do not necessarily have to focus on people’s benefit because environmental problems, disease, energy problems are also our major concerns.
Surely researches attempting to promote people’s benefit have great significance for mankind. One can argue that without medicine, people couldn't live to sixty years; without the electricity people would fear to go out at night; without automobiles people couldn't travel ten miles to visit their friends. The modern discoveries of medicine, electricity and automobiles have transformed our lives.
However, environmental problems are also our major concern. Indeed the industrial revolution and many subsequent technological revolutions have revolutionized our lives, but they revolutionized our environment too, in a different manner. Nuclear waste have caused irrevocable mutations within many species’ bodies; overexploitation of forests have destroyed the natural habitats of many species; oil leak have significantly damaged the sea. The environment deterioration may not have direct impact on human beings, yet it surely will affect people’s long-term development. For example, the distinction of species will affect other species within the same food chain and may result in decrease of food source; The lost of forest due to overexploitation will add to the climatic fluctuation, making winter colder and summer hotter. Therefore, scientists should address to the environmental problems, now more than ever. Many research programs focusing on terrestrial restoration, habitat reconstruction and saving endangered species can greatly promote the environment and biodiversity, and have a long-term benefit for human beings.
Furthermore, biological weapons and nuclear power should also be included in scientific research. Although critics demand vehemently that nations should suspend the research of biological weapons and nuclear power due to the obvious potential threat to human beings, they also have great potential benefits. Biological weapons can be used to destroyed many pathogens, virus and promote our health while nuclear power is likely to solve our energy problems at low cost. Therefore, researches focusing on developing biological pathogen killers and environmental-friendly nuclear energy should be sanctioned, if potential risk can be eliminated by careful experiment and government supervision.
In conclusion, scientific researches should not only focus on people’s benefit, but also on environment problems and even biological weapons and nuclear powers.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|2 months 3 weeks ago||urvangP||0||Read full essay|
|6 months 2 weeks ago||Cho0304||50||Read full essay|
|12 months 4 days ago||zeroreh||83||Read full essay|
|1 year 3 days ago||carol||62||Read full essay|
|1 year 4 days ago||Vaibhav1214||50||Read full essay|
|1 year 1 week ago||benoitbelgium||70||Read full essay|
|1 year 3 weeks ago||hhllii||54||Read full essay|
|1 year 3 weeks ago||rlagusdk||80||Read full essay|
|1 year 4 weeks ago||rlagusdk||81.5||Read full essay|
|1 year 1 month ago||mayosauce||50||Read full essay|
- The following appeared in a memo from the vice president of marketing at Dura-Sock, Inc."A recent study of our customers suggests that our company is wasting the money it spends on its patented Endure manufacturing process, which ensures that our socks ar (70)
- Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's field of study. (90)
- Claim: The surest indicator of a great nation must be the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists.Reason: Great achievements by a nation's rulers, artists, or scientists will ensure a good life for the majority of that nation's people. (93.33329999999999)
- In order to become well-rounded individuals, all college students should be required to take courses in which they read poetry, novels, mythology, and other types of imaginative literature. (58.75)
- Claim: The best way to understand the character of a society is to examine the character of the men and women that the society chooses as its heroes or its role models.Reason: Heroes and role models reveal a society's highest ideals. (66.25)
- The following appeared as a letter to the editor from a Central Plaza store owner. "Over the past two years, the number of shoppers in Central Plaza has been steadily decreasing while the popularity of skateboarding has increased dramatically. Many Centra (87.5)
- The following appeared as part of a letter to the editor of a scientific journal."A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situ (72.5)
- The best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government, industry, or other fields is by instilling in them a sense of cooperation, not competition (85)
- Although innovations such as video, computers, and the Internet seem to offer schools improved methods for instructing students, these technologies all too often distract from real learning. (75)
- Scientists and other researchers should focus their research on areas that are likely to benefit the greatest number of people. (54.6154)