Essay topics: In surveys Mason City residents rank water sports (swimming, boating, and fishing) among their favorite recreational activities. The Mason River flowing through the city is rarely used for these pursuits, however, and the city park department devotes little of its budget to maintaining riverside recreational facilities. For years there have been complaints from residents about the quality of the river's water and the river's smell. In response, the state has recently announced plans to clean up Mason River. Use of the river for water sports is, therefore, sure to increase. The city government should for that reason devote more money in this year's budget to riverside recreational facilities.
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.
The argument given is about Mason City resident’s recreational activities and some suggestions about improving bad condition of Mason River. The author says that water sports is favorite activity of Mason city people and they rarely use Mason river for that because the river's water quality is bad and the park facilities are ignoring it.The city government also have low budget for maintenance of river and therefore that budget should be increased for better improvements. The argument does sound convincing on first look, but is flawed because of many assumptions made by author.
Firstly, the author initially stated that the city park devotes little of its budget to maintain ace of river and assumes that the bad maintenance is main cause for people not using the river for water sports. There are a lot of things that are needed for water sports like for boating one requires boats with good condition and other necessary instruments. So it is possible that such facilities are not available near the river and that’s why people aren't using river. So by making that assumption the author is denying many such possibilities and weakening the conclusion.
Similarly, in next sentences the author stated that the rivers water quality is bad and assumed that improving that would definitely increase use of river for water sports by Mason City people. There is a possibility that after improving rivers water quality there might not be any fish remaining in it and therefore no people will go there for fishing. So there are lots of such possibilities which weaken the argument and author should have considered them instead of making assumption.
In the same manner, in final sentences the author again made an assumption that increasing the amount of budget for park maintenance will improve the facilities and maintenance at park. There are many cases of corruption in politics happened already and still happen. The budget after increment might not be fully utilized and can be used by corrupt people for their own. If such things happen the park river may not be improved at all. Therefore author should have given some alternative options for park improvements and by not stating that have exacerbated the argument.
Conclusively, the argument may seem very cogent at beginning but is flawed with many stated and unstated assumptions. The author used these assumptions to further support his conclusion and failed to consider many circumstances as stated in recent passages, while considering them would have made the argument much convincing.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|4 days 11 hours ago||rammohan231220||33||Read full essay|
|2 months 2 days ago||pg||33||Read full essay|
|6 months 1 day ago||Saud||38||Read full essay|
|6 months 6 days ago||hchittoo||53||Read full essay|
|6 months 4 weeks ago||hadis1994||53||Read full essay|
|7 months 3 days firstname.lastname@example.org||49||Read full essay|
|7 months 1 week ago||mb1502||34||Read full essay|
|7 months 2 weeks ago||ishi||43||Read full essay|
|7 months 2 weeks ago||ntesh93||38||Read full essay|
|7 months 3 weeks ago||ocarreon||53||Read full essay|
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?A teachers ability to relate well with students is more important than excellent knowledge of the subject being taught.Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion. (80)
- The following memorandum is from the business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurants."Recently, butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. This change, however, has had little im (73.33329999999999)
- In surveys Mason City residents rank water sports (swimming, boating, and fishing) among their favorite recreational activities. The Mason River flowing through the city is rarely used for these pursuits, however, and the city park department devotes litt (60)
- The following appeared as part of an article in a business magazine."A recent study rating 300 male and female Mentian advertising executives according to the average number of hours they sleep per night showed an association between the amount of sleep t (56.6667)
- Learning is primarily a matter of personal discipline; students cannot be motivated by school or college alone.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position y (67.5)
- The main benefit of the study of history is to dispel the illusion that people living now are significantly different from people who lived in earlier times.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement (61.4286)
- Many important discoveries or creations are accidental: it is usually while seeking the answer to one question that we come across the answer to another.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and (80)
- In most professions and academic fields, imagination is more important than knowledge.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most c (96.66670000000001)