Claim: Imagination is a more valuable asset than experience. Reason: People who lack experience are free to imagine what is possible without the constraints of established habits and attitudes.

Claim: Imagination is a more valuable asset than experience.
Reason: People who lack experience are free to imagine what is possible without the constraints of established habits and attitudes.

Between the imagination and experience, the author of the statement above gives the primacy to the first one. The mentioned reason behind this precedence is that those who gain experiences get limited in their imagination. The author of the statement perpetrates the fallacy of the hasty generalization in his/her claim and the false causal relation in the reasoning.

To begin with, imagination is so much of an important factor in human civilization. All discoveries, inventions, solutions were only possible as we are able to imagine things before they exist. In one word, creation is contingent upon imagination. Furthermore, it is with imagination that we can sympathize with the other when we can imagine their pain. Also, we can imagine a looming danger and preclude it before happening and so on. Hence, we see that imagination plays a crucial role in the human civilization.

However, we cannot recognize the experience subordinate to the imagination, since the first one is complementary of the latter. Conversely to what the author believes, the limitation of the experience is a merit helping our imagination not to go beyond the reality. Otherwise, we would be lost in the illusions; It is by our experience with the reality that we distant from our quixotic childhood to become adults who know there are limitations and drawbacks in realizing our dreams.

Furthermore, the experience helps individuals to substantiate their imaginations. Without the experience, the only way to realize an imagination is through trial and error which takes a long time, so that one may even refrain the work. In the personal experience, an idea of inventing a mechanical engineered structured struck my mind. After months of trial and error, I was going to quit the project until an experienced professor helped me to make a model and test it in a lab. The structure was invented as a result of a combination of my imagination
and the experience of my professor.

Finally, the imagination does not become restricted in facing the constraints of established habits and attitudes, as far as it is confined with the lack of passion. When someone is passionate in doing something, his/her imagination never stops. Consider Steve Jobs. Not only by getting involved in the process of making computers he does not become limited in imagining new things, his imagination equipped with experience lead to the creation of improved inventions every year. His imagination won him the appellation of “Visionary of technology”. Therefore, experiencing a job if is accompanied with passion, it would not restrict the one from imagining.

In short, both the experience and imagination are important complementary elements which simultaneously are needed for the individuals to thrive. Even if there are some restricting points of experience for the imagination, it is due to lack of passion, not the experience per se.