Colleges and universities should require their students to spend at least one semester studying in a foreign country.

Currently, it is debatable whether universities should require their students to study in a foreign country for at least one semester. Some people argue that this policy is useless since students can learn a variety of courses in their mother country. However, others believe that studying abroad allows students to become global citizens. I personally agree with the latter since studying in a foreign country has more advantages than drawbacks.

Admittedly, for a handful of students, spending at least a semester in foreign country is not necessary since they are able to obtain advanced knowledge within their university. To illustrate, students, especially majoring in mathematics, usually spend for hours on end understanding mathematical concepts and theories in their rooms. They are able to acquire necessary knowledge and background by asking questions to professors at their universities. In such a case, requiring for them to study abroad is a waste of their time and efforts, and is an unnecessary process, which disturbs their focuses. Therefore, for those students who are studying in such fields, suggesting a study abroad may not be pivotal.

Nevertheless, for most students, study abroad is a great change to acquire various experiences and knowledge. To be more specific, with the advent of globalization, companies have started to look for well-rounded people who are able to perform various tasks with people from different walks of life and backgrounds. Since spending some semesters in foreign countries not only allow them to experience different cultures and make friends with foreigners but also give them a chance to accommodate different perspectives, it does help them to become a versatile people. Thus, universities should force studying aboard to their students.

Moreover, students can learn foreign languages when they are studying in foreign countries. Since acquiring foreign language along with their mother tough language is a prerequisite in this age of globalization, many students nowadays try to learn other languages. In such a case, spending some time in foreign country and practice their foreign language definitely make them to advance their language skills and excel in foreign language exams such as TOFLE and HSK. Therefore, studying abroad program come in handy for those students who want to improve their language skills.

To sum up, studying in foreign countries does provide different experiences and learning opportunities. Therefore, the policy that university should their students to study in foreign countries should be enforced for the success of their students.

No. of Words: 404 while No. of Different Words: 191

The arguments are OK.