Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed

while the goverment funding of arts will definitely help in its availability to the people, i believe it should not be encouraged.
Receiving grants for their intellectual projects will make artists more or less subjected to the dictates of the government and compromise their creative outputs.For example a movie producer, may be weary of taking on scripts with messages that oppose some goverment policies and a musician would n want to churn out anti-goverment songs, because by doing so, they would be going against their paymasters.
More than any sector, the creative industry, should be totally free of goverment or political affiliations/ influence, otherwise the very reason postulated for the financial intervention; which is availability to the populance will be defeated. for instance most national television stations in my country air programs and news filled with government propaganda.
Freedom of a nation and its people is largely seen in the freedom of their arts and culture, which should be devoid of manipulations.