the first step to self knowledge is rejection of the familiar

the first step to self-knowledge is rejection of the familiar

The author claims that rejection of the familiar is important and is a stepping stone to attain self-knowledge. We do not live in an ideal world, that is, a statement cannot be generalized without exceptions being a part of it. For example, chemistry is full of exceptions; some metals might react differently, even though being in the same element family. Similarly, one person might be benefited by rejecting the familiar while another person by not rejecting the familiar.

One who rejects the familiar right at the first step will have no basis to make new understanding for themselves or for others. This outright rejection of the familiar pulls one away from the very tools and constructs that lead to self-knowledge and makes one incapable to juxtapose new conceptions with familiar things – an important step for self-knowledge.

A person in a foreign land would be completely lost if they do not have any idea of life, however primitive or incompatible it may be with their newfound environs. People may use the familiarity to their benefit. Imagine a student moving to a new country for studies and wants to save personal expense by cooking by himself/herself. Now if the student knows how to cook basic food items which does not require much knowledge and pretty much same around the globe, like rice or roti, his/her familiarity of the cooking method from their native place can be put to use in new country. This will help the student to avoid spending money to buy cooked food from outside proving this familiarity to be highly beneficial.

At the same time, inability to reject the familiar will cause one to limit their approch to solve a problem. For example, many years ago, people thought that the earth was at the center of the solar system and that all the planets revolved around the earth. If this was familiarity was not rejected, it could have been a different world today, probably with much lesser astronomical inventions and innovations. This proves, that a person should be mindful to reject the immaterial familiarities and to adopt new approach.

In crux, it depends upon the situation, place, enviroment where a person might have to reject or use the familiarity to their benefit. There is not hard and fast rule which tells - what is and what is not - to be rejected. A person should be geared up to take the decision by carefully scrutinizing the situation.