People who make decisions based on emotion and justify those decisions with logic afterwards are poor decision makers. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the po

People who make decisions based on emotion and justify those decisions with logic afterwards are poor decision makers. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

I agree with the statement to a large extent. To explain why, I would elaborate on the following: hard vs. soft issues; and the role of logic in decision making.

There are several fields/issues which exist in the spectrum between hard and soft. Hard fields/disciplines might include civil engineering, mathematical sciences where each action is based in hard math and calculation not faith or emotion. In the hard fields, there exists rules that guide decision making. A person who makes decisions in this field based on emotion is bound to fail more often than an individual who makes decisions following well-established guidelines. These guidelines have stood the test of time and, more often than not, result in adequate outcomes. This person is a poor decision maker.

Soft disciplines/issues might include childcare or interpersonal relationships where there exist a wide range of acceptable responses to a situation with each situation being unique. In issues such as this where there are no established guidelines, 'emotive intelligence' plays a huge role. Making decisions based on emotion does not make individuals bad decision makers. But it is questionable whether there need be justification based on logic afterwards.

The role of logic in decision making is to guide decision making. To make a logically consistent argument, logic must drive the argument. Arriving at a decision, then finding means to justify this decision, usually leads to leaps in logic. Such arguments usually require a large amount of special pleading in favour of the pre-conceived decision.

In summary, emotions may have a place in decision making depending on the nature of the issue being considered. Emotions have no place in deciding the sand water ratio in constructing bridges. Individuals who decides this based on emotion is a poor decision maker, as this will lead to bad outcomes. In soft issues such as human relationships, emotion has a role in decision making, and using emotion as a guide does not make one a poor decision maker. Logic is meant to guide one towards conclusions, not justify already conceived stances. For these reasons, people who make decisions based on emotion and justify those decisions with logic afterwards are to a large extent, poor decision makers.