Home >> .

True success can be measured primarily in terms of the goals one sets for oneself.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and su

wenye's picture

There are more than a single way to measure success, depending on one’s definition of success. Goals are set as director for human beings to thrive for and they are usually one of the best indicators to access one’s accomplishment. However, when evaluating one’s success, we should also take other factors into consideration, such as efficiency, the process, and the methods adopted to acclaim the fruits of victory.

There are other factors that are worth to consider other than the preset goals. The efforts that were put in during the process to achieve goals can be used as a success indicator. The goal can be seen as a collective process of work. Thus, we cannot ignore the value of the process of pursuing goals. In the meantime of approaching goals, many might encounter other findings that are also considered achievements and are valued successful. For instance, many biochemistry research ended up with results that were unexpected. The research outcomes might not have the same effect as they were intended to design for but they might be useful in other industries.

The time used in achieving a goal can be also used as a factor to access one’s success. Many share the same goals. Some might achieve them with shorter time. Thus, we can conclude that those individuals who achieve their goals within a shorter range of time have better efficiencies. Perhaps, faster development promises a one step closer to the next greater innovation. For example, the U.S. in the 1960s launched the Moon and started discovering the unexplored land. A few other countries have also launched their satellites around the Moon decades after. What made the U.S. stand out was that it was the first country that achieved the goal. Thus, it could utilize the rest of the time in searching for life signs and other aeroespacial research on the Moon while other countries were still building their spaceship.

Besides achievement, human beings also care about what approaches are made to attain success. Unethical and illegal methods to achieve success might cause the opposite effect. In the athletic world, there has been a long-lasting issue of drug-abusing in enhancing the athletes' performance. For example, it has been proved that some countries have been using medical injections to boost their athletes' scores. Although many athletes have broken new records because of the aid of drugs, the public should not evaluate their achievement as a success since their approach to success is not considered ethical.

Success has its own definition in every individual's mind. We shall not use a universal standard to judge everyone’s performance. Evaluations of time and efficiency, facets such as ethical methods used to approach success, and the efforts involved in pursuing success should also be valued to make the final judgment whether someone is successful or not..