Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student s field of study Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim In developing and supporting your position be sure t

Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's field of study.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

There are a variety of courses provided by universities, and this is not happening by chance – instead, this is a simple fact that reflects the truth of life that knowledge is in itself complex, in terms of depth and breadth. Based on this reality, it makes sense to ask university students to take courses outside their own field.

One may argue that profession is the reason why society evolves and advances, which is true, while profession can and will be furthered with outside knowledge. Take the profession of linguistics for example, one can focus on just language and look into grammar, words, sounds while knowledge from psychology, sociology, neurology, etc. could all broaden and interact with the study of language per se. How language is used in society, how language is reflective of users’ mentality, and how language functions in our brain are all wonderful spinoffs of linguistics studies.

Aside from professional knowledge, the ability to reason and evaluate different information is critical to education. What makes a man a well-educated one lies in his or her ability to think critically. And stimuli from different field of studies can absolutely serve that purpose. A business major might also wonder what other goals should he or she pursue except for profits. Should moral concerns or global climate change also play roles for a corporation? It is important that one pay attention to various important issues to truly give what the world really needs. And with the ability think clearly and critically, one would be able to deliver his or her best to the world.

Moreover, taking courses from different fields, disparate or relevant, provide opportunities for people from a variety of backgrounds to work together, which is conducive to the development of diversity and inclusion. This is vital for a democratic society since in real life people of different expertise or thoughts need to work together to really bring fruitful results. Like a forest with a diverse set of species, a society that embraces different opinions and ideologies can be deemed as healthy. Taking non-professional courses bring people together and pave the way for a more diverse and inclusive society.

Taking courses may also help students to explore and figure out what they really want. It is commonplace that people do not really practice what they have learned in their job positions. Different fields of studies may present distinct job prospects. So students can really benefit from all the various courses they take and find their way in this world. Even though an English major works as a salesman after graduation, the language ability as well as marketing skills learned from course may all prove quite useful.

All the different knowledge and experience provided by university courses are like different gems and pieces of a puzzle, which students collect along the journey of learning and help them lead a more complete life, one that we all desire.