The graph below shows the quantities of goods transported in the UK between 1974 and 2002 by four different modes of transport

The figures summarizes information about amounts of goods that had been conveyed by four modes of transportation systems; road, water, rail and pipeline in the UK during a period of 29 years from the years 1974 to 2002.

Using roads, water, and pipeline, all had approximately an increasing trend for transporting goods but rail systems after making some decreasing fluctuations had reached to a consistent amount loading goods in the year 2002 as well as the year 1940.

Pipeline systems had the minimum usage during these 29 years, and roads conserved their first places from the year 1974 to 2002. However, from the year 1974 to 1978 rail systems were used more than water for transporting goods but water systems after an overtaking in the 1978 grasped the second position.

Water and pipeline systems, had the least usage in the year 1974. Furthermore, they experienced their maximum usage in the year 2002, and also for pipeline systems this issue had begun from the year 1994 and it preserved the same amount until the end of duration. Meanwhile, the highest consumption of roads was in the year 1982 and the lowest was in the year 2002. Also, the water systems had the same patterns in terms of minimum and maximum usage.