The chart below shows the percentage of households in owned and rented accommodation in England and Wales between 1918 and 2011.Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

Tee Dos's picture

the given bar chart gives information about the portion of homeownership and tenants in England and Wales between 1918 and 2011.

Overall, it can be seen from the graph that the trend of owning a house increase significantly over the given period, while renting accommodation reduced over the same time period. The highest proportion of homeownership was in 2011while the renting of houses was most prevalent in 1918. It is also clear from the graph that more people rented their homes when compared to those who are landlords.

the proportion of homeowners in 1918 stood at 20% of households and this started to see a dramatic increase in the following decades to come. By 1991, the percentage of house owners had reached almost 70%with marginal increase 10 years later after which there was a slight decline by the year 2011.

On the other hand, the proportion of people who rent their homes started at a very high rate (almost 80% of households)in 1918 but the trend showed majorly a downward trend throughout the given time frame. Although there was an initial fluctuation between 1918 and 1953 which subsequently started declining rapidly over the next 40 years before showing a mild increase between 2001 and 2011. Interestingly, there was an equal percentage of household landlords and tenants in 1971.