The chart below shows the percentage of households in owned and rented accommodation in England and Wales between 1918 and 2011 Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant

The chart below shows the percentage of households in owned and rented accommodation in England and Wales between 1918 and 2011.

Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

The bar chart above illustrates the change of the figure for households in owned and rented accommodation in England and Wales between 1918 and 2011.

In 1918, households in owned accommodation constituted 80% plus, whereas households in rented accommodation accounted for only 20%.Between 1939 and 1953, the percentage of households in owned and rented accommodation keep stable, which is about 68% and 32% respectively. The gap between these two parts narrows as time goes by, and the figure for those in 1971 are the same. Between 1971 and 2001, the percentage of households in owned accommodation increased steadily. In 1991 and 2001, nearly 70% of the households are in owned accommodation, which is two times as that of household rented accommodation at the same time. Between 2001 and 2011, the percentage of household accommodation slightly dipped, making up 65%.

Overall, the percentage of households in owned accommodation was increasing and fluctuated after 2001.