The diagram below shows how to recycle organic waste to produce fertiliser compost Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant

The diagram below shows how to recycle organic waste to produce fertiliser (compost). Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant.

The diagram provides a breakdown of how compost is made. Overall, the making of compost involves organic wastes of different kinds undergoing various biological and chemical processes in an aerated container.

A 2-cubic-meter plastic container with four holes – two at each side – is used to contain the compost. The four holes act as vents, allowing the circulation of air in and out of the container. Next, waste is added to the container in layers of 15 centimeters, with food at the bottom, grass in the middle and newspaper on top. Nitrogen and hot water are subsequently added to the mixture.

At the fourth stage of the process, the mouth of the plastic container is sealed shut by the use of a cover. The moistened mixture is thereafter left in the container for 6 months, during which time a decomposition process gradually takes place. During the process, vapour is released through the four vents. After 6 months, the organic wastes are successfully converted into compost, and this sort of fertiliser is ultimately used in gardening.