Many nations want to hold international sports competitions in their countries. However, some people think these competitions have some problems. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

In recent years, the pros and cons of international sports competitions have been widely discussed. Some people argue that nations gain benefits from holding international sports competitions, while others claim that doing so rise a range of social problems. Both views will be analysed in this order.

On one hand, international sports events are beneficial to the hosting nations in a number of ways. First, it is generally accept that such events would lead to a significant economic growth. Take China, for instance, in 2008 the GDP of China had increased 11% due to the Olympic games held at that year. Second, sports competitions tend to create many sports celebrities who function as role models to youngsters and encourage them never give up. Third, international sports events offer great opportunities for communication and cultural interaction among nations. These strongly facilitate the process of globalisation.

On the other hand, a number of social problems cause by international sports events should not be overlooked. To begin with, holding an international sports event requires many sports related facilities and buildings to be constructed, such as stadiums and hotels. These constructions sometimes create a heavy financial burden to local people. Furthermore, many fans want to catch every sports TV shows over the entire event, therefore, they have to stay awake until late at night. Because the sports competitions are usually held at a different time zone. Lack of sleep reduces their work performance and harms their physical health. Lastly, international sports events can be strong competitive and cause violence. People do not take the lose easily and sometimes even turn into riots, for example, the 2012 European Men Handball Championship riots.

In conclusion, as international sports events can be good or bad to the hosting nation, it is fairly difficult to say a nation should held these events or not. However, I believe if we successfully eliminate all the risks, every nation will be holding international sports events happily.

a number of social problems cause by international sports events should not be overlooked.
a number of social problems caused by international sports events should not be overlooked.
a number of social problems which are caused by international sports events should not be overlooked.

People do not take the lose easily
People do not take the loss easily

a nation should held these events or not
a nation should hold these events or not