In some countries young people are encouraged to work or travel for a year between finishing high school and starting university studies.Discuss the advantages and disadvantages for young people who decide to do this.

In some countries young people are encouraged to work or travel for a year between finishing high school and starting university studies.

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages for young people who decide to do this.

It is true that many young adults who just finished high school either go on a trip or start work before getting into university. While both work and travel have many benefits, there are also some drawbacks which are worth considering.

On the one hand, I believe that taking the year off can be beneficial for young people for several reasons. By travelling to different cities or countries, a student can gain many experiences. For example, many high school graduates choose to travel overseas. In the new country, they have to live and work with other people of various nationalities and they are exposed to different cultures, customs and points of views. In this sense, a period of travel can broaden their horizons. In terms of work, individuals who decide to find work can make progress more quickly. In the working environment, these people not only will gain real experience and lean practical skills in their chosen field, but also will become economically independent.

On the other hand, there are certainly drawbacks of the gap. The main concern would be the decrease of the students’ readiness for university studies. When these students graduate from high schools, they are usually at the high level of their capacity for learning. Many of them will gradually forget their theoretical knowledge from the point that the gap begins. For example, a young individual, who chooses to travel around before he continues his studies, will be busy having fun and meeting a lot of new people, meaning that the use of academic abilities becomes unnecessary. As a result, when they return to their studies, they may find it difficult to re-adapt to an academic environment.

In conclusion, working and traveling prior to university studies may be helpful for gaining relevant experience and a broader view of life. However, they can also have a negative effect on students’ intellectual capabilities during the time.