Essay topics The chart below shows the percentage of households in owned and rented accommodation in England and Wales between 1918 and 2011 Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant

The graph indicates the quantity of two types of accommodation, households owned and rented in England and Wales over the period 1918 to 2011.
At a glance at the chart, there was an upward trend in the number of households owned while the quantity of rented accommodation decreased gradually.
In 1918, families renting accommodation accounted for 75%, tripled that of rented accommodation. This figure dropped considerably and stayed stable from 1939 to 1953. In 1971, there was a balance between the numbers of two type of accommodation.
In contrast, from 1981 to 2001, the proportion of families owning a home continued its increasing trend and reached a peak of nearly 70% and drop by 3% over the next 10 years. Meanwhile, the proportion of rented accommodation experienced a gradual decrease and hit the lowest point at 30% in 2001 when this figure was half of that of household in owned, followed by a minimal growth of 5%.