How important is it for individuals and countries to think about the future rather than to focus on the present

How important is it for individuals and countries to think about the future, rather than to focus on the present?

It is pivotal to keep the future in mind and not fritter away everything to enjoy the present. One should always remember that the future would one day become the present, and when it eventually does, it should be safe and secure. The same holds true for nations. This essay shall discuss the importance of preparing for the coming time.

The most important reason for the nations to keep the future in mind is that the mortality rate is coming down and the span of life is increasing. So, population is going to increase, especially that of the elderly, who would need support from the government. If only today is looked into and no planning is done for tomorrow then crime and violence would increase in society and everyone would suffer. Relations with other countries should also be maintained, as we all live in a well-connected global village today.

Another reason why countries should plan for the future is that if wise spending is done today it may save a lot later on. For example, if countries do screening tests for early detection of certain cancers such as breast cancer and cervical cancer, then it may save a lot on very expensive treatment later on. It has been well said that – A stitch in time saves nine.

Individuals should also always save for the future. Lifespan is increasing but the period of earning is comparatively limited. Nobody knows how long he would live, but the age of retirement is generally fixed and one cannot work infinitely. Therefore, during one’s earning span, one has to put aside enough money for the later years, when it will be impossible to work anymore. Further, the requirements in old age are sometimes more than a person's needs during the period of his youth. Deteriorating health translates into higher medical bills and hospital charges. Being weak and infirm, one needs to spend more on commuting. He will need to hire assistants to help in the house.

To sum up, it is imperative that people and countries plan wisely for the future. If one has saved enough, one can sit back and enjoy peace and comfort in one’s later years and even witness the smile of joy on the faces of one’s children. If countries plan well for the future, everyone would have a better tomorrow.