In many cities there is a lack of space to live and as a result in order to modernise old buildings are demolished and replaced with new buildings What are disadvantages of knocking down old buildings Do the advantages over weigh its disadvantages

In many cities there is a lack of space to live and as a result, in order to modernise old buildings are demolished and replaced with new buildings.
What are disadvantages of knocking down old buildings? Do the advantages over-weigh its disadvantages?

Due to the growth of population and shortage of space in numerous cities, older buildings are being torn down to construct new ones. I feel given the alternatives to space creation, this may be a rational solution though in some case it should be reconsidered and avoided.

I think it is essential to create shelters to accommodate the increase in number of people. By replacing old buildings with newer and taller constructions we are able to provide housing for more people using the same area of land. This reduces pressure on cultivate or green land to be cleared for building homes.

Old buildings can also be hazardous due to wear and tear or decay caused over years. Many buildings are in poor shape and can fall down leading to major accidents. Demolishing and reconstructing such buildings may be a better option reducing threat to life and increasing space.

However, knocking down ancient building with all the advantages, may not always be the best solution each time. We need to evaluate the architecture for its strength, cultural and designing value. Some building may even hold historical importance and these should be preserved. Some older constructions are built brilliantly with stronger foundations than most new buildings. They should be upgraded and further strengthened instead of being demolished.

I also believe,as a more evolved species, we should also take the responsibility to use resources given more carefully and take required steps to control population and eliminate wastage. If we limit our space requirements and use the given land resources in a more optimum way we would be able to create place without any destruction.

Overall, I believe substituting old buildings by new is a good solution but it is also situational. If the ancient building holds historic or architectural or cultural value it should be preserved. In other circumstances, the advantages of knocking old buildings for new over weighs the disadvantages.

the advantages of knocking old buildings for new over weighs the disadvantages.
the advantages ... over weigh the disadvantages.