TPO-05 - Independent Writing Task
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
People today spend too much time on personal enjoyment-doing things they like to do-rather than doing things they should do.
Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
This is quite a widespread idea that our contemporaries spend too much time on having fun than on doing things they ought to do. From my vintage prospect this statement is mistaken because of the reasons which will be discussed in details below.
Firstly, a life of an average person is closely monitored by street cameras and special soft-ware at workplace. Today a human being is an object of endless and continuous monitoring as a result we have to comply with the rules all the time. For instance, twenty years ago there was a possibility to spend your time on personal enjoyment during a workday. An employee could superstitiously devote his or her time to online- shopping, social media or even watching movies. Today this possibility is closed because a vast number of companies has installed a special soft-ware which makes random print screens and recorded all activity of a worker. Moreover, a usage of a personal cell phone is restricted as well, for instance, in Russia's companies a person who was caught with a smartphone while working may be even fired.
Secondly, today's world is highly competitive and each professional has to work hard in order not only to be promoted but even for keeping one's position. Therefore, many people have to devote an enormous time to self-development and self-education in order to be abreast. To illustrate this idea we may take a look at a surgeon. Advancement in this field so enormous that some new techniques are created each day, thus a surgeon has to look for new information regularly as well as visit new seminars and conferences. if the doctor does not do it, she might lose her position or even work.
Finally, a life of a modern adult is strictly scheduled. We employ a number of services which require from us to be vigilant and do everything in time. For example, I have to wake up at 6:00 am in order to take my daughter to a kindergarten at 7:30. Than I have to drive to my work place because at 8:00 I must turn my laptop on, than I have my dinner at the same time each day of week. Thus, a life of contemporary father is ordered by forces which cannot be controlled.
To wrap up, we might tend to believe that our lives are devoted to having fun but in fact, we are limited in our actions, sadly but life of today's human being is scheduled and restricted by rules and responsibilities.
- Some people believe that the purpose of education is to free the mind and the spirit. Others believe that formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free.Write a response in which you discuss which view more closely alig 60
- Task IIYou should spend about 40 minutes on this task.Write about the following topic:You should spend 40 minutes on this topic.Some people believe that children spend too much time watching television or playing computer games. They feel that this time c 71
- Young people should be encouraged to pursue long-term, realistic goals rather than seek immediate fame and recognition.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for t 60
- 18.09.2017 Today, the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold.To what extent do you agree or disagree? 48
- The following appeared in a letter to the editor of the Balmer Island Gazette."On Balmer Island, where mopeds serve as a popular form of transportation, the population increases to 100,000 during the summer months. To reduce the number of accidents involv 80
Attribute Value Ideal
Final score: 27 in 30
Category: Excellent Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 18 15
No. of Words: 422 350
No. of Characters: 1891 1500
No. of Different Words: 229 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.532 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.481 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.778 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 125 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 93 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 62 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 38 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 23.444 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 9.275 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.667 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.294 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.532 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.112 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5