TPO 17 – task 2: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?Most advertisements make products seem much better than they are.

TPO 17 – task 2: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
Most advertisements make products seem much better than they are.

Advertisements comprise a major part of television programs and newspapers. Companies use various advertisement methods to inform the people about their new products and to compete with other companies. Some people agree that most advertisements make products seem much better than they really are; some others disagree. In my opinion, I approve the statement and here are my justifications.

To begin with, through advertising, managers intend to attract more customers and to compete with other related companies. Nowadays, the market is increasingly competitive and advertisement plays an important role in gaining a prosperous and profitable business. Hence, showing that your product is superior can attract more customers. A vivid example can be given to shed light on what was elaborated above. I remember an advertisement about a car, which was not a very big car, but some people in the car used to repeat this slogan repeatedly: "More room for your friends, more room for your family". Although the car was not big at all, because of the repetition of that slogan, I started to believe that the car is actually big, and I was intrigued to buy the car. In summary, the car seemed better in the advertisement.

Beside the above-mentioned reason, advertisement enables the businesspersons to create an image of quality for their products using tricky strategies. In the future, they can use this image to sell other products. For example, Sipa Corporation is one of the most well-known car manufacturers in Iran; and the success of this company, in my opinion, is entirely due to perfect advertising campaigns. By using celebrities in their advertisements, they created a picture of quality and luxury for their cars. In one of their advertisements, they used a famous race-car athlete to show how fast their cars are. Indeed, the car in that advertisement was not so fast; but people believed that the car was fast because the celebrity said, "I feel great in my fast car”. Consequently, the image of fast-car assisted the company to make substantial profit.

Having discussed this issue from this point of view, I would rather look at it from another perspective. Some insightful people may oppose the statement since they can distinguish good and bad products using the internet and the reports from independent advertisement agencies. By using E-commerce websites, people can compare the products, read the reviews of each product, and then make their best choice. Moreover, reports from some agencies can provide us with true information about the products, which would be very useful in decision-making in purchasing expensive products. Therefore, companies prefer to give real information about their products in the advertisements.

All in all, although some sophisticated people may oppose the statement, I still support that products, in the advertisements, are shown better than what they really are. Advertising is all about attracting more customers and making more money, the statement is in accordance to this general rule.