Home >> .

TPO-22 - Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Teachers should not make their social or political views known to students in the classroom.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

pegy's picture

Teachers play a significant role in creation and development of children and young adults’ minds framework. This influence, however, could be a double-edged sword. Teachers’ contribution in this matter could be either constructive or destructive. Although many people might believe that teachers should express their political and social in the classroom, I would argue that since children are highly influenced by teachers and usually do not have an individual political or social perspective, teachers might give false or discriminatory opinions or dictate their own thoughts to them. Therefore, it is better that teachers avoid discussing their personal political or social views in the classroom. The arguments to clarify this statement are as follows.

First and for most, children and teenagers are significantly influenced by their teacher. To them, whatever a teacher does or says is always true. Any specific or particular opinion could be fed to students in this very critical situation. In fact, it has happened many times that a teacher brainwashes students by his/her particular views. For instance, as I was in high school, we had a conservative religious teacher. She used to argue her political and social perspective, based on her religious background in the classroom and almost all of us were accepting them. As a matter of fact, we were almost brainwashed by her and all of her views were accepted without hesitation. This was mostly due to our lack of real political and social experience, which enabled her to convey her opinions to us effortlessly. Therefore, it is important that teachers avoid arguing their personal views in the classroom and give freedom to the students to think.

Moreover, like all humans teachers might be biased toward a specific political or social view. Undoubtedly, teachers have the authority of expanding their discriminatory thoughts among their students. Students might consider their teachers as role models and try to think similarly. This could have destructive impacts not only on individual students but also on the society as a whole. For example, many of my university professors were advocates of right wing party. At the time of election, they were arguing their political views in the class and were trying to convince the students to vote for their candidate. Unfortunately, they were successful! Since many students had almost no political information, they were accepting of the professors’ political views and voted for the right party. Thus, to avoid expansion of biased views, teachers should not express their views in the classrooms.

Finally, the chief purpose of education is to guide students how to build an independent personality and have their own particular opinions regarding social and political issues. Thus, teachers should try to teach the students how to think, analyze and evaluate issues in order to build an independent perspective rather than dictating their thoughts to them.

To sum up, based on the arguments explored above and my personal experience, I believe that teachers should avoid expressing their political or social opinions to the students who are usually groups of teenagers or young adults which are highly influenced by their teacher’s way of thinking and have not reached independence in developing personal political and social perspectives.

Your rating: None Average: 7 (1 vote)