Home >> .

TPO-40 - Independent Writing Task Some parent offer their school-age children money for each high grade (mark) they get in school Do you think this is a good idea?Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

ZhicongLiang's picture

A prevalent phenomenon today is that to encourage they children to learn better at schools, parents offer their children money for each high grade they get. Some people think it is reasonable since this will give their children a big motivation. A considerable number of opponents, however, argue that this is a passive way in education and will make their children fall into bad habits. As far as I am concerned, the latter seems to align more with my personal perspective. There are several reasons to support my point of view. The following two will suffice here.

To begin with, many parents do so because they think this will encourage their children to do their best at school. However, this is a passive way that we should not be proud of. To study hard and get a grade as high as they can is school-age children's responsibility, that is, they should try they best to do so even there is no reward promised. If parents could not figure this out, then their children will not be able to distinguish their responsibility from benefits. In the future, whenever other tasks come in, children may ask their parents for money to perform well, even though it is their own responsibility. What's more, I think these kinds of ways of education are the result of the lack of responsibility of their parents, too. That is, parents could not take their responsibility to motivate their children to study for their own sake and try to "buy" a good grade.

For another, the driven power behind study should be the desire to explore the nature instead of money. Luring their children to get a good grade with money is a very passive way. Does it means that once the child is not satisfied with the money he get, then he could quit study? The answer is definitely no. What parents should really do is to help their children to find their own interests and arouse their self-motivation to explore the unknown. Self-motivation rather than money is the endless fuel that power one's exploration of the world.

Admittedly, a minority of people think that as long as their purpose, a good grade, is achieved, then they are satisfied no matter what method they use. However, let recall those scientists who change our world with their curiosity about the nature and endless exploration. They do not expect money or any other reward for their work. They are satisfied with what they are doing. And that is why they become the giants that we admire. On the contrary, we never see there is someone get a Nobel Price for his chasing for money. I think this has been illustrated pretty clear.

For the reasons mentioned above, I do not agree parents to give their children money for every good grade they get, which should be consider as their responsibility.

Your rating: None Average: 7 (1 vote)