Private collectors have been selling and buying fossils, the petrified remains of ancient organisms, ever since the eighteenth century. In recent years, however, the sale of fossils, particularly of dinosaurs and other large vertebrates, has grown into a

SHARMIN AKTAR's picture

The passage claims that the fascination to the largest land animal , that is, Elephants led to the development of several beliefs about their surprising behavior and the author provides three reasons of support. However, the professor explains that instead of being fascinating it is, the beliefs about the behavior of elephant held by the author are misunderstanding and she refutes each of the author's claim.

First, the passage posits that all elephants are aware of their death which is approaching. Hence, they depart their herds and goo of alone to riversides where they die alone. the professor contradicts this point by stating that the departure of old elephants are not due to their upcoming death. She explains that the teeth of old elephants become old and weak. So, these animals require soft vegetation at that time which are available to the areas near to river. Hence, they depart from their herds and live nearside the river and ultimately die there. That's why, their bones are found there.

Second, the article posits that elephants possess artistic feature. The professors contends that the trainer actually teaches the elephants to hold paintbrush and direct them how to stroke. Moreover, It doesn't necessary to assume that each stroke represents a recognizable things like flower.

Finally, the professor opposes the claim of the passage that elephants are petrified to mice. She explains that once the elephant get to know that, mice are not dangerous, the herd don't leave the area having mice and don't show any reaction to mice.