Telecommuting is a work arrangement whereby an employee ceases to work solely from the central office. At the same time, this worker maintains contact with colleagues via telecommunication devices such as a computer, telephone, or fax. In the typical scen

Telecommuting is a work arrangement whereby an employee ceases to work solely from the central office. At the same time, this worker maintains contact with colleagues via telecommunication devices such as a computer, telephone, or fax. In the typical scenario, a telecommuter works from home about two days per week.
The increased incidence of telecommuting all over the world may be due in part to department or ministry initiatives geared at reducing CO2 emissions associated with the war on global warming. For example, the Clean Air Act in the United States provides incentives for firms that encourage the use of car pools, public transport, reduced workweeks, and telecommuting, all of which serve to decrease traffic congestion, air pollution, and dependency on foreign oil. Studies have shown that if an additional 33 million US workers opted to telecommute, they could cut Gulf oil imports by between 24 and 48 percent and lower greenhouse-gas emissions by up to 67 million metric tons. Together, these green telecommuters would do away with the need for 154 billion miles of driving and gain the equivalent of five additional weeks off per year.
In addition to gains in free time, telecommuting offers the employee many advantages. First, because of the reduction in supervision, the worker feels a sense of autonomy and empowerment, which facilitates work satisfaction and positive employee morale. Second, employees experience less stress because of a reduction in commute time and an enhanced work-life balance.
Employers also benefit greatly. Workers are more productive, with absenteeism kept to a minimum. Productivity increase average around 20 percent, with employers gaining one free worker for every five telecommuters. Companies can also save millions in real-estate costs with fewer requirements for office and parking space. Furthermore, telecommuting is one of the most effective methods of retaining and recruiting employees because it is a valued workplace benefit.

Essay topics in audio

The professor discusses two case studies explaining the facts and procedures about telecommuting. This discussion strengthens the information presented in the reading passage.

First, the professor speaks about AT & T communication corporation, which achieved excellent performance and results using telecommuting. According to the professor, this company manages to increase its productivity and raise their profit margin to a significant degree. Through proper use of telecommunication, this corporation, with a working unit of 10000 employees, managed to cut 11 million $ with implementation of telecommuting. Moreover, the employees announced higher satisfaction in both their office and their family life. As the professor said, they increased their work hours by the aid of telecommuting. In addition, they asserted that telecommuting improved the flexibility of both office work and family complications substantially. That’s why a rate of 70% increase in employee satisfaction was observed. Likewise, the reading passage subsidizes the facts and provides two reasons. Firstly, the workers felt a sense of autonomy due to reduction in supervision. Secondly, because of decrease in commute time, employees experienced less stress and an elevated work-life balance.

Secondly, the professor mentions Sun Microsystems, which is a computer hardware and software firm to explain the success of telecommuting campaign applied there. In accordance to the professor, employees, using telecommuting, saved 177$ per week by working partially at home. In addition, this campaign led to less use of energy, which 90% of this was due to less driving. As the professor said, telecommuting decreased traffic congestion, air pollution and use of private cars. She emphasized a reduction of 32000 metric tons CO2 emission owing to telecommuting.

Furthermore, the professor claims that telecommuting was a very effective method in retaining and recruiting employees at workplace. In the same way, the reading passage posits that telecommuting was a very effective method not only in reducing the CO2 emission and global warming, but also in saving millions of real-estate costs with fewer requirements for office and parking space. Indeed, telecommuting valued as an effective method of retaining and recruiting employees.

No. of Words: 338 250 //Write the essay in 20 minutes.

not '177$' but '$177'