TPO 1 Integrated Writing

The reading and the lecture are about four day working. The author of the reading feels that this is beneficial to the company as well as the employees. The lecturer challenges the claims made by the author. He is of the opinion that this rule is disadvantageous for everyone.

To begin with, the author argues that the company will increase the profit. The author mentions that if the workers will have more rest, then the company will gain some of their wages. This specific argument is challenged by the lecturer. He claims that company will not gain profit, instead it will spend more. The company will have to spend on hiring more people, medical benefits and other facilities. Additionally, adding more workers will lower the profit of the company because of adding salary.

Secondly, the writer suggests that four day work week can reduce unemployment rate. In the article, it says that the company would hire more employees to ensure the same amount of work. The lecturer, however, rebuts this by mentioning that it cannot reduce unemployment rate. Furthermore, employees will work more time. As a result, it feels not good for the employees, and they would be more tired.

Finally, the author posits that workers would have more time to enjoy their leisure time, employees can improve their lives to high quality. In contrast, the lecturer’s position is their lives will be financial crisis. He notes that employee will be lose their promotion opportunity. Furthermore, they cannot earn more income.