TPO 10 Integrated Writing Task The sea otter is a small mammal that lives in waters along the western coast of North America from California to Alaska When some sea otter populations off the Alaskan coast started rapidly declining a few years ago it c

Undoubtedly, declining sea mammals have always been a controversial thing among scientists. More specifically the writer puts forth the idea that declining sea otters are caused by environmental pollution. However, the professor points out that there are some serious flaws in the writer's claim. To be exact, the professor believes that predation is more likely to be the reason for sea otter decline. He more or less addresses the problem with each point made in the reading.

First of all, the writer claims that there were known sources of pollution along the Alaskan coast, such as oil rigs and other sources of industrial chemical pollution. But the professor refutes with this point and says that if otters were killed by chemicals, there should be dead bodies of them in those areas. Since no dead otter was found in the sea, chemical pollution can not be the reason for declining otters.

Secondly, the reading states that other sea mammals such as seals and sea lions along the Alaskan coast were also declining, and since orcas prefer to hunt much larger prey, it should be environmental pollution that affects the entire ecosystem. The professor, not surprisingly though, believes that due to human hunting, there are not enough whales for orcas to eat. So orcas have to hunt smaller mammals like sea otters.

Finally, the author wraps up the topic by claiming that the pollution hypothesis could also explain the uneven pattern of otter decline. Then again, the professor stays on the other side of the argument and says that since orcas cant reaches shallow and rocky areas, sea otter decline has an uneven pattern.

In conclusion, the other and the professor obviously hold opposing views about otter decline.

better to have 4 paragraphs:
para 1: introduction
para 2: doubt 1
para 3: doubt 2
para 4: doubt 3