TPO 16

TPO 16

The reading specifies that the United Kingdom contains many diverse settlements and the science of archaeology which uncover and examine, faced with serious problems and limitations. The professor, however, explains that new rules (guidelines) were adopted to improve mentioned challenges.

First, based on the reading, construction projects do not pay attention to valuable artifacts that have been found on sites and proceed with their building by destroying found precious artifacts. In contrast, the lecturer says that in the enhanced rules, any construction companies should exam sites, and if it is archaeologically valuable, the company is obliged to make plans to preserve it and before continuing construction excavates it to not cause further damages.

Second, archaeological research did not receive adequate financial support since government grants have been eliminated. On the contrary, the professor states that it is the responsibility of construction companies to pay funds for an initial examination of sites. This new funding is for evaluation and examination of the site and because of that a greater range of places will be covered this way.

Third, the number of archaeology jobs in universities or agencies is limited and many people have to change their careers because of unavailable positions. Nevertheless, the professor asserts that by the new guideline, paid work in archaeology has been increased. If a specific site contains valuable information, companies have to hire archaeologists to examine and preserve it. Moreover, after the preservation process, other researches have to be done on the site, and also, the collected data of the site have to be processed.