TPO 21 - Integrated TOEFL essay

TPO 21 - Integrated TOEFL essay

In this set of material, the reading passage recounts three different benefits of planting genetically modified trees. However, the lecturer states that there are some problems with genetically modified plants and provides some evidence to refute all mentioned benefits in the passage.

First of all, the reading passage states that genetically modified trees are much hardier and more resistant than unmodified ones, and can survive more. In contrast, the lecturer declares that although genetically modified trees are resistant to specific pests, they are not necessarily survival. The unmodified plants are genetically diverse so in most threatening conditions, at least, few number of them will survive but modified trees are uniform which will lead all of them to wipe out in threatening conditions such as climate change or new pests dispersed in the area.

Furthermore, it is mentioned in the reading passage that the modified trees economically benefit the one who nurtures them. On the contrary, the speaker claims that genetically modified trees include some hidden costs because, according to the law, the farmers are charged by the company for each time that they plant modified seeds and they cannot collect the seeds after the trees grow.

Finally, the author of the passage states that modified trees prevent overuse of wild trees because of on purpose planting and abundant growing of genetically modified trees. Conversely, the lecturer rejects the idea and declares that modified trees damage the environment more than natural grown trees because modified ones grow aggressively among wild trees and outcompete with the wild trees on resources like water and soil nutrients.