tpo 30

tpo 30

The proffesor in the lecture argues with all 3 points stated in the reading material about ancient greek firing mirror.
First, the readings assumes that the big mirror was made in one peice which would take a long time and need advanced technology that they did not have it at that time. However, they could make it from lots of strait copper surfaces which could be sealled to make it like a parabolic shape which was available at that time.
Second, the author stated that for a mirror to make a fire in wood in distance a lot of time would be needed in not moving object which in moving sheep it took more time. In the lecture the professor refutes that and states that the ship was not made just by wood and other material like pitch was used at the ship building process at that time. It can catch fire in seconds which spreads the fire to the wood very quickly.
Third, the lecturer believes using mirror instead of flaming arrow was surprise and unpredicted for their opponent who were familiar with flaming arrows and might watching their opponent for flaming arrows. This surprise could be the reason of being messed up and losing control over their force.