TPO 41 integrated writing

Both the passage and the lecture discuss new regulations on coal ash. The author claims that according to representatives of power companies, adopting new regulations will have several negative consequences and are not necessary. On the other hand, the professor categorically denies whatever mentioned in the passage and states that they should definitely adopt stricter rules.
First, the passage mentions that there are already effective environmental rules in this area. For instance, current rules require companies to use liner in their disposal ponds and landfills. Nevertheless, the lecturer rejects the author's view and illustrates that these rules are not sufficient. She states that currently, companies are required to use liner in their new landfills, not all of them. There is evidence that older landfills have significant damages to the environment. In some cases, the harmful chemicals leaked from landfills into the groundwater and contaminated drinking water. She says that stricter rules should force companies to use liner in all of their landfills and ponds, old and new.
Second, the reading indicates that enacting strict rules will discourage people from using products made from recycled coal ash since people think they are dangerous. Nonetheless, the lecturer supports a contradictory view as compared to that presented in the reading; she describes that making new rules does not necessarily lead to stop using these products. She states that this process has been done for other dangerous materials, such as Mercury. There are many rules for disposing of Mercury, and people are still using its successfully recycled materials.
Finally, the author states that putting strict rules will increase the cost of Power companies. As a result, the price of electricity will rise. However, the professor refutes it, saying that although this process will increase the costs, the result is well worth it. She states that by enacting strict rules, the cost of power companies will rise by 15 Billion dollars. Still, the average price of electricity will rise by about 1 percent.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.