TPO14 integrated writing Salvage logging

The reading passage presents arguments in favor of salvage logging, which is the practice of removing dead trees in damaged forests and using them for making wood products. The lecturer, however, casts doubt on each of the writer's claims by pointing out the opposite.

First, it is asserted in the article that the practice of removing dead trees will make space for new trees to grow. On the contrary, the professor claims cleaning up dead trees won't necessarily create the right conditions for the forest's recovery. She further explains the natural process of tree decomposition actually helps enrich the soil and makes it favorable for new trees to grow. If dead trees are removed abruptly, the soil will lack in necessary nutrients for growing a healthy forest.

Second, while agreeing with the author that decaying wood makes a suitable habitat for insects, the speaker also points out that this natural phenomenon is not bad for the health of the forest. She cites the fact that the spruce bark beetle has been living in the forest for over 100 years, yet they have not caused any major damage to the forest. Also, rotting wood is home to not only beetles but also other insects and birds that contribute to the healthy growth of the forest. Therefore, cleaning them up will only do more harm than good.

Third, according to the reading passage, salvage logging will offer several economic benefits through providing materials for wood industry and creating jobs. Although the lecturer does not deny these benefits, she correctly notes that they will only be small and temporary. In fact, the lumber recovery is operated using helicopter, which makes the process expensive in the long run. Also, experienced outsiders will be temporarily recruited to do the job instead of local people, thus there will be no additional jobs for the locals as stated in the article.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.