TPO26 (integrated)

TPO26 (integrated)

Essay topics in audio

In this set of materials, both the reading passage and the lecture discussed zebra mussels and their related probable problems in new habitats. The reading firmly stated that mussels are indeed a serious threat in all of North America. However, the lecture repudiated what stated in the reading resting upon fallacious premises and provides three counterclaims proofing that there are some ways for controlling mussels' population besides they are not account a serious problem for fishes of North America.

Firstly, the reading argued that zebra mussels' spread could not be stopped, as they could easily travel from Europe to America by ships, they will soon colonize in the latter place. The professor contradicted this point by acknowledging that unlike the past; nowadays humans have the knowledge of how to curb mussel's population. He pointed out as salty water will kill mussels, if the ships change their ballast water in the oceans none of them would survive to reach freshwaters of North America.

Secondly, the reading claimed that there are no predators for mussels in new habitat; moreover, they have a high rate of reproduction so that they are likely to dominate their habitat. Notwithstanding, the lecture highlighted that local birds will eventually change their food habits and become the predators for mussels in new region.

Lastly, the article contended that the number of fish population will decrease in habitats for the sake that mussels would compete freshwater fish species for planktons. This seemed to be incorrect as explained in the lecture. The speaker articulated that only species that eat planktons will decrease, while other species which feed from bottom of the lake and rivers will increase.

will decrease in habitats for the sake that mussels would compete freshwater fish species for planktons.
Description: 'for the sake of something...'