As you read the passage below, consider how Paul Bogard uses • evidence, such as facts or examples, to support claims. • reasoning to develop ideas and to connect claims and evidence. • stylistic or persuasive elements, such as w

In his article, " Let There Be Dark", Paul Bogard argues that people's growing use of artificial light is diminishing natural darkness and that the world need to prevent this trend from continuing. Bogard effectively builds his argument by telling a personal anecdote, presenting facts, and citing opinions of well-known organizations.

Bogard begins his article with a personal story about a time he stayed with his family near a Minnesota Lake, where " [he] knew wood so dark that [his] hands disappeared before [his] eyes". Also in this place, he was able to observe "night skies in which meteors left a smoky trails across sugary spreads of stars". By telling this anecdote, he draws the readers his point of view in the most relatable way. Through his description, the readers feel as if the beautiful scenery is in front of their eyes, and the feelings such an experience evokes establishes a connection between the author and his readers. This lays a groundwork for the readers to agree with Bogard's claim that the beauty of natural darkness should be protected.
The author also makes use of facts in order to support his argument. He claims that "our bodies need darkness to produce hormone melatonin, which keeps certain cancers from developing and bodies need darkness for sleep". In showing these facts, Bogard means to establish the importance of darkness in a objective and scientific perspective. Since these pieces of information are often difficult to oppose, they greatly contribute to the author's credibility and consolidate his claim. As a result, the readers are more likely to be convinced of Bogard's argument that natural darkness needs to be preserved as it is vital to our life.

The final rhetorical technique that Bogard employs to strengthen his argument is his reference to two widely-respected organizations - the World Health Organization and the American Medical Association. According to him, the WHO regards working night shift as a potential cause for cancer among people and the American Medical Association has also expressed its support for "light pollution reduction efforts and glare reduction efforts at both the national and state levels". In presenting the opinions of these two prominent organizations, Bogard proves that his article is well thought out, backed up with agreement from well-known sources. Therefore, the readers feel that they can trust in Bogard's claim that the issue of natural darkness disappearing is worth addressing.

Responding to the world's increasing utility of artificial lights, Paul Bogard makes an argument that genuine darkness needs to be protected from this trend. By using techniques of telling a personal story, employing objective facts, and citing opinions of famous organizations, Bogard persuades the readers of his claim.