As early as the twelfth century A D the settlements of Chaco Canyon in New Mexico in the American Southwest were notable for their great houses massive stone buildings that contain hundreds of rooms and often stand three or four stories high Archaeo

The reading and the lecture about explain the usage of buildings in Chaco Canyon in New Mexico in the American Southwest. The author of the reading believes that these buildings were residential and in second theory emphasizes that were used to store food and finally is about ceremonial centres. The lecturer casts doubt in the claims made in the article.

First of all, the author claims that hundreds of people lived in these buildings because there are many apartment building at Taos which is very similar to Chaco structures and many people have been living for hundred years. This argument is challenged by the lecturer. He says that inside of the building does not show that. If many people lived, there had to be many fireplaces, each family did daily cooking, but there was only a few of them and he adds that there was not enough room.

Secondly, the author states that buildings used for storing food. Passage mentions, main crops of that people was grain maize, and they had to store them in somewhere. Passage argues the size of these houses could be good. This argument is rebutted in the lecture. The lecturer observes that there were not any maize remain on the floor.

Finally, the author mentions that in Native American cultures, had kind of ceremony which they discard the pots in somewhere that meals had been served after eating meals. It is pointed out that excavations of the mound which is close to one house, shows a large number of broken pots. The lecturer casts doubt on this by arguing that in excavations of the mound revealed many other things such as building materials means sandstone and other constructions tools. He puts another idea which points those mound was just trash.