In an effort to encourage ecologically sustainable forestry practices an international organization started issuing certifications to wood companies that meet high ecological standards by conserving resources and recycling materials Companies that receive

The passage is about eco-certification that can be used by wood companies to attract customers. The author of the passage mentions three reasons that unlike other wood companies around the world, American wood companies won' t adopt the new practice to get eco-certification. However, the professor in the lecture put forward three reasons that this refutation is untenable.

First, the passage says that since there is too much advertising in American daily life, American consumers don' t trust advertisements in general. While the professor says that customers don' t treat all advertisements the same, but they distinguish between them. Consumers tend to buy a product confirmed by an independent agency because they are confident about the company' s reputation of the product.

Second, the passage says that eco-certified wood is more expensive since the company has to pay for the examination to earn eco-certification. While American consumers like cheaper products, American wood companies prefer low price wood without eco-certification. However, the professor says that if the price is much higher or lower, American customers would choose cheaper products, but if the difference in price is less than 5% , then consumers would choose factories but not prices. Many Americans value environments. They would choose eco-certified wood.

Third, the passage says that it' s not convincing that American companies keeping up with the development in the rest of the world makes good business sense. American wood companies only sell in the United States. However, the professor says that American wood companies should pay attention to the international market due to the fierce competition. If domestic companies have not eco-certified wood that consumers are interested in, foreign companies with eco-certification would break into the American market.