If you could change one important thing about your hometown, what would you change? Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer.

Although there are a lot of things that were revolutionized in Azerbaijan after the country gained its independence when the Soviet Union collapsed, there are a lot of things that are left over and needed to be modified and developed in cities, districts and regions, as well as, in my hometown. My city – Sheki is one of the biggest cities of republic and situated in upper mountain side in where there are a lot of historical, sightseeing and modern places that attracts a vast amount of tourists every single year. However, there is neither an international nor a regional airport in this modern and aesthetic city which is a big negative for this place and I think I would rebuild the former regional airport in here and I assume that would be a great and significant change for my hometown.

During the Soviet period, there was a regional airport in Sheki, however, when the Soviet Union collapsed, this new established country faced different sort of wars, conflicts, economic crises and hyperinflation, therefore all the regional airports including the airport in my town were closed. Despite of those facts, Sheki hosted tourists and guests during that hardship period.

Firstly, if the airport is constructed again, it will ease transportation in the city, because, now people use trains, buses, taxis, private vehicles or the airports that are in nearby cities to travel inside and outside of the country. This city’s contributions to the Gross Domestic Product of Azerbaijan is very high and the airport could help to increase the proportion of Sheki in GDP, because, increasing opportunities and decreasing transportation costs will lead to open new business in here which will enhance people’s welfare. On another hand, the city is famous in the world by its own and unique goods that they are only produced and exported from here. So, the airport will be a good facilitator for these producers to export and supply their goods to the world market very easily.

Secondly, the city has always been very attractive for tourists over a century; as a result, two biggest hotels in this region were built hundred years ago. Operating the airport will increase amount of tourists which means that the incomes of people who make money from tourism will increase, and new foreign and local entrepreneurs will invest on this field in the city.

Finally, this airport will be beneficial both of the local and foreign people and will play a crucial role in development and improvement of this city. It will also help my hometown integrate with other cities and parts of the world.