In the 1950s Torreya taxifoha, a type of evergreen tree once very common in the state of Florida, started to die out. No one is sure exactly what caused the decline, but chances are good that if nothing is done, Torreya will soon become extinct. Experts are considering three ways to address the decline of Torreya.
The first option is to reestablish Torreya in the same location in which it thrived for thousands of years. Torreya used to be found in abundance in the northern part of Florida, which has a specific microclimate. A microclimate exists when weather conditions inside a relatively small area differ from the region of which that area is a part. Northern Florida's microclimate is very favorable to Torreya's growth. This microclimate is wetter and cooler than the surrounding region's relatively dry, warm climate. Scientists have been working to plant Torreya seeds in the coolest, dampest areas of the microclimate.
The second option is to move Torreya to an entirely different location, far from its Florida microclimate. Torreya seeds and saplings have been successfully planted and grown in forests further north, where the temperature is significantly cooler. Some scientists believe that Torreya probably thrived in areas much further north in the distant past, so by relocating it now, in a process known as assisted migration, humans would simply be helping Torreya return to an environment that is more suited to its survival.
The third option is to preserve Torreya in research centers. Seeds and saplings can be moved from the wild and preserved in a closely monitored environment where it will be easier for scientists both to protect the species and conduct research on Torreya. This research can then be used to ensure the continued survival of the species.
The speaker refuted the points and conclusion in the passage. She insisted that none of the methods would be successful, mainly with three counter reasons opposite to the three points mentioned.
First, even though it seemed appealing that reestablishing Torreya might works, it will not succeed, for the local microclimate has changed according to climate. Maybe because of the global worming or other changes in the climate, the micorclimate there now is dryer than it used to be, which means that the Torreyya would not survive in their old habit with a wet and cool microclimate, overshadowing ...
- Integrated WritingJane Austen (1775-1817) is one of the most famous of all English novelists, and today her novels are more popular than ever, with several recently adapted as Hollywood movies. But we do not have many records of what she looked like. For 95
- If a goal is worthy, then any means taken to attain it are justifiable.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting yo 77
- The following is a recommendation from the Board of Directors of Monarch Books."We recommend that Monarch Books open a cafe in its store. Monarch, having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years, has a large customer base because i 88
- Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and suppo 59
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Life today is easier and more comfortable than it was when your grandparents were children. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. 70
Sentence: First, even though it seemed appealing that reestablishing Torreya might works, it will not succeed, for the local microclimate has changed according to climate.
Description: A modal auxillary is not usually followed by a noun, plural, common
Suggestion: Refer to might and works
Sentence: This fact shake the second option.
Description: The fragment fact shake the is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace shake with verb, past tense
It is on top list:
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 28 in 30
Category: Excellent Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 2 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 14 10
No. of Words: 276 250
No. of Characters: 1330 1200
No. of Different Words: 161 150
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.076 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.819 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.527 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 90 80
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 66 60
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 33 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 22 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 19.714 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 10.593 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.786 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.304 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.546 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.111 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 4 4